Hello Fresh. Blue Apron. Home Chef. These are just a few of the national options that have gained a lot of popularity in recent years and some ways to pick a meal delivery service. With so many options to choose from, it may be difficult to decide which one is best for you and your own unique lifestyle. There is no shame in using a meal prep service and it can provide so many health benefits. To help you decide if meal delivery would help you with your goals, some of these benefits have been highlighted below.
Is a meal delivery service right for you?
If you have been thinking about using a meal delivery service, ask yourself these questions:
Do you want to spend less time cooking meals or washing dishes?
Is your goal to eat out less or avoid eating fast food?
Do you want to avoid making frequent trips to the grocery store?
Do you struggle to create a variety of healthy meals with nutrient-dense ingredients?
Do you need guidance creating properly portioned meals?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, a meal delivery service could be life changing for you! Taking the stress off of cooking can create more time in your day for other activities you enjoy, like spending time with family or picking up a new hobby. There are plenty of people out there who feel as if they may be stuck in a rut or are struggling to come up with new meal ideas. Or, you could be in a certain life stage that prevents you from having the extra time to go grocery shopping or prepare several meals each day.
Whatever your reason, cooking isn’t for everyone and that is perfectly okay! These delivery services allow you to customize your preferences and specify your nutritional needs. Also, if you prioritize sustainability, many companies are locally sourced, have recyclable containers, and create less waste.
Popular Meal Delivery Services
Whether you prioritize larger portions, organic ingredients, or affordable prices, there is a meal delivery service for everyone. Some of the most popular companies can be found below along with their “claim to fame.”
Colorado Meal Delivery Service:
- Local northern Colorado-based company
- All meals are created by a Registered Dietitian
- 6, 12, or 18 meals delivered each week
- Choose from Standard or Low Carb meals
- Option to choose a particular meal/serving size
- Breakfast, protein donuts, and protein bites are also available
- Price: about $10.00 per serving
- I encourage shopping local when it comes to meal service delivery. I work closely with Zeke at Supernatural Eats to ensure his clients are getting the highest quality value and nutrition!
Anchorage Meal Delivery Services:
Alaska Dinner Factory
- More than half of the recipes contain either all gluten-free ingredients or require only minor substitutions to make them gluten-free
- Often make ingredient adjustments to accommodate preferences and allergies
- Free delivery (delivers to Anchorage, Eagle River, Wasilla, and Palmer)
- $195 per month for 6 large or 12 small entrees ($5.00 per serving)
- $355 per month for 12 large or 24 small entrees ($4.55 per serving)
Phenom Meals LLC
- Weekly subscription
- A representative will discuss your goals, food preferences, and help you decide which menu options work best for you
- All meals are measured, weighed, and stored in containers for convenience
- 4 meal plans available to fit your individual lifestyle: business, ideal, athlete, and couples
- Business: for individuals who prefer convenient, light options during a work day ($125-160/week)
- Ideal: those who want to create a healthier lifestyle or are interested in weight loss ($200-250/week)
- Athlete: for those who are training for a sporting event or for those who are interested in high protein, low-carb options ($225-390/week)
- Couples: ideal for partners looking for healthier meals together ($125-390/week)
National Meal Delivery Services:
- Over 38 meal kits to choose from
- Customize your protein choices from chicken, fish, and pork
- Antibiotic-free protein option
- Oven-ready meals
- Price: $7.99 per serving
- 6 to 18 organic meal recipes each week (including paleo, vegan, vegetarian and gluten free options)
- Committed to organic, non-GMO, sustainably and responsibly raised products and ingredients
- Online tutorials for extra guidance
- Price: $11.99/serving (2 person plan) or $10.99/serving (4 person plan)
- Best for those with food allergies or sensitivities (dairy, gluten, soy, nuts)
- Generous portions
- A “dinner to lunch” element- provides a variation on tonight’s dinner to serve as a portable lunch tomorrow
- Price: $10.00 per serving
- 8 menu choices available each week
- Seafood and vegetarian options are always available
- Unique ingredients are often included and the website highlights these ingredients as an educational opportunity
- An optional wine pairing service is also offered
- Price: $7-$10.00 per serving
As you can see, there are endless options for meal services that are available for your area. Depending on your preferences and health priorities, there is a meal delivery service out there for everyone!
Working with a Registered Dietitian can also help you navigate how to pick a meal prep delivery service!
Haley Hughes MS, RD, CDCES and Katelyn Schwartz B.S in Exercise Science and Dietetics